Thursday 7 April 2011

Title - The Statue of the Angel with a Sharp Knife Killing a Dark Demonic Figure – an allegoric art piece found in foyer of the Makarska Police Station.

Up nervously this morning for my first row at the Biokovo Vesljancke Klub. The wind was blowing strongly so no boats were out¸ but the trener was very pleased to meet me – he had spent 15 years in NZ rowing for the North Shore Rowing Club. And so with no opportunity to jump into a boat he looked at me and the one boy who had turned up and said “both of you run now, to that hotel (the speck on the horizon) and there is hill just before you get there, so you must push yourselves to run hard up the hill”. Poor Karl, it was like being sent on a run with your mother. But we did push ourselves, both with our pride at stake, and then a final sprint when we got back to the club. And then trener said “now 20 minutes on Erg machines”. Dripping with perspiration, I went to take my leave and thank the man, but he indicated that I needed to go back into the shed for stretching to warm down….

So, day two in the thrilling series of the Astonishing Tale of the Mountains you must Leap and the
Streams you must Ford to get a working permit. (In this part, I play the angel, and the people behind the Perspex screens in public offices plays the demons -see above title to clarify).

After discussions with Branka last night I returned to the police station this morning to try and sort out the final paperwork. Who knew that there are two different papers that you need to describe an address – one is the title, and the other is the Kadastra. The first women rolled her eyes at me (I eyed that sharp instrument in the statue, yes, real metal and very sharp) but a second woman, Ani, with both patience and English said ceka, ceka, and I did. She (nearly) took me by the hand and walked me to the Kadastra office and told the staff exactly what I needed – which was further confirmation that the place that I am living in is what it is. Tako ti je to. And it is.
Sadly at that point there was a pauza between 11 & 11.30, and with further instructions, I left.  

I had an appointment with the manager of Biokovo Hotel – sadly they have no work because they have permanent staff, but perhaps I should try… and mentioned another hotel, and mentioned the director’s name and out came the Family Card! Now, you have to know when to play this card  - the director is my cousin, we have met twice before and he has the blue eyes of my mother and my grandfather –  she rang him there and  then, I went to meet him, drank coffee with him, talked family and employment  (in that order) and he took my number, maybe something in June… waitressing?.. yes of course… and suggested that I also contact Marin Brbic (again with the Family Card, another cousin). And so I shall. But not today, because I have another time slot to spend at the police station, this time with Branka in tow because a statement is required from her too.  We emerged jubilant with the paper (step one in the list of requirements). And I shall write to Slobodna Dalmacia to nominate both Ani and Branka for Sainthoods…
Tomorrow, tomorrow, a meeting at the Municipal Chambers again, and don’t be late because they close at 1!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying the updates Mum. I am feeling some what intrigued as to what I shall expect there and aware you'll be brown, smiley and have new items to dash me with. I'm already contemplating the most appropriate outfits (Samuel has been briefed in on this and needs to also think about it)and how many sunbeds I'll need to catch up with you. 6 weeks to go!! xd

    ReplyDelete