Thursday 14 April 2011

Ruffled Feathers

The storm has nearly cleared today, with a blue-skied chilliness in the air. When we (my boys and I) ran this morning, I didn’t heat up enough to take my polyprop top off. It was surreal looking at the sea with a backdrop of snow-dusted mountains. We did warm up on the ergomet though – A, B, C exercises (two minutes each) and then twenty minutes rowing.
I caught the taxi van to Tucepi to meet a cousin for coffee to talk about work opportunities. His eyes widened when I suggested that I would be happy working as a sobarica (room maid) and then widened again when said that I would walk back to Makarska.
Sitting in a café in the trg, there are a few pigeons with ruffled feathers (from the wind??). My neighbour (let’s call him Grumpy Old man – GOG) has ruffled feathers too. Here’s the thing.

I have a lovely terrace which is recessed one meter below the road (Exhibit A).




The road is a public road (Antuna Gustava Matosa) but the GOG built the metal fence between the road and the terrace and says that I must not use it to leave my terrace. He motions for me to go around to the other door and scowls. Seriously. Unfortunately (for him) I am immune to scowls. Branka has had trouble with this issue before, so we are ignoring him.

Did I mention my Mountaineering Club experience? Last Sunday, at the kind suggestion of Branka, I got up at 6.30, lunch packed¸ to go on a tramp with the local Mountaineering Club. It was easy to spot the members of the Mountaineering Club as they made their way to the meeting place – tramping boots, checked shirts, trousers with lots of handy pockets and zips, back packs and those alpine stick things (have you got the visuals??). I was feeling slightly nervous by now….
I introduced myself to the leader of the pack (Drago) and he looked me up and down in my running shoes and shorts and said……’no’.
Boots are needed – no rolled ankles.
Long trousers are needed – snakes.
I skulked away like a child sent home from a school outing.

Never mind – I’m determined. I’m looking out for a shop that sells tramping boots (or someone my size that looks like an ex-mountaineer), I’ve just bought trousers (with pockets for Africa) and longer socks. But goodness knows where I will find those alpine stick things!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Allison
    Welcome to our fascinating world of snakes. They can actually penetrate trousers you know and don't believe the myth that if you make enough noise they will hear you and make a quick exit....snakes are deaf. Ground vibrations are the way to go so if you want to look like a loony, the key to snake avoidance is to make very heavy stamping movements while walking not unlike a Germanic folk dance of the mountain variety and the stick can be put to good use as a weapon if the dancing doesn't do the trick. Just do what we do, don't think about it and have a great walk.

    ReplyDelete