Saturday 23 April 2011

Easter and Stuff


Hey check this photo out - this morning I had cause to go to the ljekarnik (chemist) to try and get some Briolene for my eye – I have only been able to wear one contact for a few days, and having tired of that game, decided that I needed to fix the problem. The lady understood my Croatian, found the ointment, and then wrapped it up in this paper – just nice old fashioned white paper with the universal chemist symbol on it. No plastic bag, just nicely folded paper.
And the same goes when you buy cheese or salami slices at the delicatessen – nice squarely- folded white paper. I like these little touches.


I also really like the street signs, the ones in the Mediterranean blue – Uice, Trg, and actual numbers on the houses. When you come into a district (like Makarska) the road sign is yellow but as you leave the area, and just as you start to drive into the next area, the same sign is there but with a cross through it – no room for error with signs like that.
The other thing that I am loving at the moment is the Easter thing – the

shops have Easter displays, the paper today had a free sheet of stickers with Sretan Uskirs (go on, work it out) included in it, and there was a snake of preschoolers in twos wending its way through town on Thursday selling little Easter things. How exciting to be a child at Easter here – not just knowing that there will be a chocolate egg, but the whole pageantry of the few days. Everyone seems to have extra family staying, and those backyard bbq things will be going tomorrow to feed the extended families.
I was sitting in a café this morning (I have a few – morning café, afternoon café, bura wind café and jugo wind café (different directions))

and to one side of the café there was a stand which I noticed had a few decorated eggs on it – and as I sat, various mothers with children came and pegged their eggs on the stand too – now there is a lovely collection of them.
Despite the notice on the Mountaineering Club Notice Board saying that there is a sestanje tomorrow, there isn’t – it’s Easter Sunday after all – no rowing either. Everyone around here will be at church. I’m looking forward to the sound of the church bells in the morning. 

1 comment:

  1. What, no posting for 3 days - what are you doing - slacking or something. Too busy doing other things I suspect. How's the job hunting going.

    ReplyDelete