Tuesday 12 April 2011

Desperately Seeking – Frizer

You know those women that you see in make-up advertisements, the ones where you swear to god that the photos must have been touched up to make their skin look that good? Well, they all live here.
The young ones and even the not so young ones (my age) have the most beautiful looking skin. I can’t help looking at them (now you will think that I am weird). And they dress up every day (no jandals, no shorts) – they drape themselves in scarves, wear crazy high shoes and all have those sunglasses that make everyone look like movie stars.
But on top of that, (literally) they all have gorgeous thick hair! Can life be more unfair? Head count to date for overweight women with lank hair – two. Just two. I’m talking young to youngish women here. There is, of course, the propensity for older women to have that same international Set Hair Thing. I mentioned the Set Hair Thing to a woman that I was talking to, and she said that when she was a teenager she was terrified that the minute she became an adult she would have to have the Set Hair Thing.
And speaking of hair, I’ve been wandering around town glancing discreetly (podgledam) into Frizerski Salons (and there are a lot of them) to see if I can spot somewhere that I can confidently go to have my short hair kept styled.


In case you don’t know (and I quote my daughter) there is a fine line between suburban and Grey Lynn lesbian with a short hair cut, and no offence, but I don’t want to look like either. Okay, so I’m vain. I’ve had a good hairdresser for about 10 years (Mods of Ponsonby – free ad break) and we all know how traumatic it is finding a new hairdresser.
I nearly approached a woman who passed by the café I was sitting in because I liked her hair cut, and I wanted to know where she had it done, but lost my nerve. So I asked a woman I had coffee with whom she would recommend. .. ‘a, evo, you must to go to Bruno. But you must to know how you want, or you will have, how to say¸interesantan. Ali, Bruno is best.’

I guess I have two more weeks out of the Auckland cut, and then, Bruno it is!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are going to have some fun at the hairdressers. The best thing is that it will always grow back!!! I am now on holidays, have managed to survive a term of teaching and I have to say it was pretty good. My sister niece and nephew are coming over from Aussie for Easter so will be up in Orewa for one week and then we are going to go to the bach for the second week. Hope the weather stays as beautiful as it is today. Hope you have a great day in that warm sunshine. Love reading your posts x yana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely with Danica on the matter of the fine line re lesbian thing; however, that would not be the first thing that would come to anybody's mind over there in Makarska so, go fearlessly 'where no-one has ever gone before' and visit an unknown frizer.
    Ajde, Allison, mozes ti to, bez problema; ovo ti je ionako 6 mjeseci opasnog zivljenja!

    ReplyDelete