Thursday 7 April 2011

I’ve got it, I’ve got it! All that walking, waiting, eye rolling, and  form filling has paid off! I arrived at the Municipal Chambers this morning clutching my wads of paper, up to the second floor, room 21, held my breath and watched as she with the beautiful fountain pen (real ink!) inscribed my name in the Big Red Book, and duplicated my official numbers into my Radna Knigjice. I smiled and said “misla sam nemoguce” and she knew what I meant, I’m sure of it. I can now work here legally, I will not be spurned! I have just moved up the pecking order.

 I went into a travel agency next, to talk about getting work, and he said “of course, it will be difficult as you have no work permit “ and shrugged. I quickly produced my symbol of legitimacy and did a little dance (well, you know, in my mind..).  “Evo, so maybe email me your CV please, and we will see”.

I’m still trying to get a prepaid T Stick so that I can use my laptop in the apartment, so trekked to the other end of town (I do this all day) to the T Com shop. I’ve been there three  times now and consider the man with the English one of my new best friends BUT I’ve been committing a crime that I didn’t know existed each time I go there. I thought that it was a discretionary thing, the standing around and waiting to be the next one served according to who was already there, but no!  Today as I moved toward the counter, a security guard guy handed me a chit of paper with number A22 and said trebate cekati! You must wait! Horror of horrors, I did not know that this was like the ANZ at home that allocated numbers when you went in and required you to wait for your number to light up above the counter. I nearly laughed aloud but satisfied myself with a deep blush! And then waited until ‘A dvadesetidva’ was lit up at the counter. My friendly assistant guy winked at me and shrugged when I handed him the chit and explained my mistake. Anyway, still no T Stick, maybe tomorrow, mozda sutra.  I won’t make the same mistake tomorrow! I will proudly take my number from the machine the moment I enter the shop!


No comments:

Post a Comment