Friday 29 April 2011

Gastronomical

Today started off as normal – run to Krvavica, row, home, muesli blah blah…
I needed a few things in town (like a coffee and a newspaper) so drifted in that direction, bought the most delicious strawberries from the market (imagine that, two seasons of jagoda in a row, but I must admit that these ones taste like the Real McCoy) and thought that a book in the sun would be good.



So, I settled myself onto a park bench (I have a great book at the moment, but more about that when I think you are Ready For Politics), started reading…. and heard the unmistakable sound of a Klapa Band.

I love that music. Mmmm choices, carry on as I am in the sun with my book or find where the music is coming from. My father said not to miss ANY opportunities – book closed, and walking in the direction of a large marquee, and it’s a Wine Festival! Wahoo!


Ok, trying to work out whether it is invite only¸ trying to look inconspicuous, trying to work out the system… Bojan introduces himself and explains – ticket is 30 kuna, and yes he is the event manager. Super. And in I go. The venue is full of people, and roasting hot. There are speeches and clapping, more speeches, clapping, speeches, clapping. And then the function is officially opened by the mayor – well, I guess he is the mayor, he has a mayoral suit and look about him.
The trick is that you buy a wine glass for 30 kuna (refundable if you return it with the coupon) and well, just get into it. There are all sorts of wine here from all sorts of areas – Slovenia, Bosnia and from the tip of the Dalmatian Coast up to the north. My favourite white is Grasevina (with a ‘sh’ for the ‘s’) I wandered around looking nonchalant for a while to get the hang of the process, but basically, try everything, and buy something if you like it. Which I did of course.
I tried 4 different rose’ type wines - I tried different cheeses



and bought a sir s kaduljom (chamomile flavour) and a beautiful salami – after trying quite a few. The food was superb, the wines were delightful, and the men were good looking and tall (just thought it worth mentioning). Bojan the Event Manager checked on me a few times to make sure that I was ok (I’m sure he was just doing his job) …


After an hour or so, having circled the marquee more than a few times (and congratulating the Australian guy selling his wine), it seemed appropriate to do a Cinderella. Returned the glass (although it was a nice fine one) and found myself a seat in the sun to continue where I left off with my book. Next thing I knew there was a handsome man asking whether I would like to join him with his friends on his yacht for a glass of wine. You know what? I hesitated ..and then remembered my dad saying to grab every opportunity (I’m sure that this is what he meant)… and sat on the yacht in the harbour in the sun and had a glass of champagne. Life’s hard.
And I just may, may, may follow up the invitation to join them at their restaurant this evening…

(BTW - the 'Super!' word that I am using is a Croatian expression. Not just being silly. In case you wondered.)

No comments:

Post a Comment