Sunday 24 July 2011

Ukeing

I was sharing the uke love today with a fellow musician who had never seen this instrument but was familiar with the life (and death) of Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.

I’m intrigued that the ukulele hasn’t featured yet in Croatia, because there are so many fine stringed instruments being played here – the klapa has the mandolin and the guitar. I saw a variety of ukuleles on my way to Croatia – lonely ukes in lonely airports.

Anyway, before I knew it the guests from next door (the little shy girls) were here too, and everyone had a play. I u-tubed the ‘Somewhere over the Rainbow’ song so that the shy little ones that didn’t speak English could work out what the instrument would sound like in better hands.

When they had all gone, I sat and played the uke for a while and then decided to u-tube Hoki Mai – because basically, I had felt a certain lacking when I explained that it was a Maori song (what?), but then wasn’t sure what the words meant (Sram me bilo!). Yes, shame on me.

And what a plethora of New Zealand music is on u-tube if you just throw in Hoki Mai as the lead prompt. There is even a K2 Army group doing Hoki Mai in Bosnia – so this music has hit this part of the world in some form!
Then I got all sentimental and watched all sorts of stuff, including the ‘Poi e’ trailer from the movie Boy. New Zealand music is good – listen to me banging on about klapa, our music is wonderful too. The All Blacks Haka is on u tube – that still manages to bring a tear to my eyes. And Mande White is right when she says it doesn’t matter who wins or loses the rugby, our boys have the best bodies! Classic comment from our yoga teacher!

So my secret aim is try and have my uke played in a klapa group – not by me of course, just making a guest appearance in the hands of someone more musical. I’ll infiltrate somehow, just watch me!

The thunder started last night at about seven, stopped overnight and rumbled again this morning as we got off the water from rowing - it has just started again as I write this, incredible claps which has set off car alarms. The sky is the most delicious range of greys and darkness, and there is a delicate shroud of clouds clinging to Biokovo, lit up by the lightening. It’s a dirty black sky that I can see beyond Biokovo.

I’m enjoying the reprieve from the heat, but feel a bit sorry for those who are here on annual leave for beach and sunshine for a week, and have had three days of inclement weather. (Actually I don’t feel sorry for the ones who keep stoically sitting on their mats on the beach wrapped up in their sweaters making sure that no-one gets their spot, stupid). The guests next door from Poland have been playing a lot of cards, real rainy day stuff. Cabin fever could set in if we have another day of it though.

I sat and looked at how to form Imperatives in Croatian. And then there is a different rule if you want to make these statements negative – who would have thought! I tell you what, I could revolutionize that language by getting a few of the grammatical rules! And the Croatians keep trying to tell me that English is difficult……

PS just because I can - here is a lovely sign that featured on a door to a building in Hvar - a historic building which states that it is a theatre, and a gallery of paintings - then someone has added at the bottom - ma, nema nista - dont' bother, there is nothing in there. Tickled my fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment