Wednesday 6 July 2011

Far from the Madding Crowd

A moment of silence please.

My jandal broke today, my newish havaianas! Worse than that, they broke when I was about three kilometers away on a gravel road. Not content with running to Kvavica, I have taken to walking there to lie in the sun and have a swim.

It was a long walk back with one jandal on, one off. (I carried the offending jandal so that it was obvious to the less creative thinkers why I had only one on – gotta give those guys a hand.)



The main beach here in Makarska is so incredibly crowded¸ impossible now (not just difficult) to find a spot to put your towel unless you have been down there at 7 in the morning to lie your towel out, securing it with stones – when I mentioned it to someone last night, they said that the season doesn’t peak until 15 July. It’s going to get worse!

So, I walk, past the main beach, past the next one, and the next one (crowd’s thinning slightly) along the gravel track, past the next beach, and through the forest to a little beach that has the same basic few people each day. I realized today that one of reasons that I like this beach is that the stones are not sharp to lie on, they are real pebbles. Guess this is because the sea has had its chance to work away at the stones on the beach, rubbing them smooth, because this isn’t one of the beaches that has the stones removed each year. And the thing that goes along with that process, or rather doesn’t, is that the stones that you lie on on this beach are not dusty like the other beaches closer to the town. I’m sure that this all sounds completely foreign to New Zealanders with sand on their beaches (you should be so lucky) but pebbles are the thing here, and the rounder the better.

It looks as though there are seals lounging on the rocks, brown round seals, but it is people determined to get as brown as can be¸ dedicated to the cause by getting as much sun as possible, and all day if possible.

I managed to get a few photos today as I hobbled back with my one jandal. I was looking in the stalls to see if I could find a replacement but having mocked bright yellow, orange or pink crocs, the selection was limited. They were out of playing cards though… well, I’m not surprised, nearly every group was playing cards. Seriously. Have you not ever thought as you lay on the beach, covered in lotion, ‘gosh, game of cards would be good.’ For me, that would come just after 'and how about a bit of hot sweet corn on the cob' but there you go.

I did notice that the bungy tower must have been having its inaugural leap because there was quite a crowd standing around watching and clapping. It didn’t look like a lot of fun to me, guy was upside down for ages! I always have a picture in my mind of eyeballs bouncing out on springs.

There are two places where you can have a massage on the beach now – both offering the same menu and prices. Check out how many different things you can be massaged with, and not even in the privacy of your own home. It’s all above board, the tent is wide open to the world. My thought was, when you have had your chocolate massage… what then?




And just to complete the pictures today, there are a couple of photos that I love but haven’t managed to wend into the story yet.



The first is the groblje, the cemetery, on a cloudy day where the grobi nearly meld into the texture of the mountain behind.



And these ones are photos of the caper plant. I was intrigued, although I don’t know what I imagined a caper plant to look like. The flowers are beautiful too. The thing about it is that you can’t easily pull them out and root them, or take a cutting or a seed and live happily ever after with your caper plant, they have a will of their own and sprout indiscriminately – this photo is taken in an abandoned house in the main street in Drvenik, but there was also one growing out of the stage at the open air cinema, casual as anything.

And speaking of the cinema, bit of a write up in the Kronika today about the play we went to last Friday, but more particularly about the fact that there were ‘1000 people without a WC’. Goodness, it didn’t occur to me. Don’t look too closely at the enlargement photo, just not nice.

Drvenik seems to have it sorted for those who want to lie their towels out first thing in the morning...



Lastly, check out this spot for doing bombs! As I watched someone jumped and let up a huge splash! It was only one jump so it can't have been Frosty Man and the BMX Kid - and if you have no idea what I am talking about, google Frosty Man and the BMX Kid- but the word on the street was that it was a New Zealand guy. Odlicno! (with a 'ch' on the 'c').

No comments:

Post a Comment