Saturday 23 July 2011

Festa

The festa (yes, with a ‘sh’) was in kalalarga which is the name given to the main street in the old towns. It is a nice curved street of marble, about 14 feet wide, that leads from the road that brings traffic into Makarska from the Dubrovnik direction, and ends up in the town square. I have a feeling, a bit of information that someone gave me at some point, that the streets in these old towns curve to lessen the effect of the winds as they blow through. We’ll go with that thought I think – it makes sense, and I like the thought that there was some town planning so many years ago.

The festa is a fair, and didn’t really get started until nine thirty at night - there were stalls with goods to try and to purchase – pag cheeses, lavender from Hvar, jewellery and local rakija. And these lovely bags which were originally used to carry oats for the donkeys. I think that they are called zorbnice.



Oh yes, and seeing as you asked, there was a klapa group. They obviously knew that I was coming! And after the klapa group a women’s choir from Tucepi. Not so fond of ladies’ choirs and as luck would have it, at that moment a friend appeared and we all went for a drink. (Apologies to the ladies’ choir!).

Goga had her lovely five year old daughter with her (it was only ten thirty after all) so we all went for a wine (Goga and I) and icecream (the others). (Aside - Please note that this is the first wine I have had in two weeks, and only did it to keep Goga company. She needs wine, she works very hard.)

Ana had a kinder surprise to keep her busy and then she occupied herself drawing a lovely picture and writing all of the names that she knows. And here’s where I am heading with this one – I can see that this child is ready for school. But foolishly she was born in July so now she has to wait until she is seven until she goes to school because there is only one intake each year and it is in September. So Ana must stay at day care. I commented on how exciting it will be when she goes to school, thinking about the champagne breakfast that one of my friends threw for us all when her 5th and last finally went to school, and Goga said that, no, it would be difficult because school at elementary level is only for four hours(!) – 8 until midday- and this would be difficult for her to sort out care for Ana after school, as she and her husband both work. I have been imagining how frustrated all of these 5 and 6 year olds (and their parents) would be, as I know myself how they suddenly get antsy at 4 ½ ¬ and the way that everyone nods, and says, oh yes, ready for school…

So kindercare and the pens from the bottom of my handbag (apologies to Hotel Biokovo because the felt pens leached through the tissue onto the tablecloths), and then at 11.00 we moved on to the stalls on the riva, all the fun of the fair with people promenading in their tiny dresses and high shoes – and one of those wonderful trampoline thingies, which is what Ana was angling after. Check her out!





Finally to bed at midnight – imagine Ana, chocolate and then trampoline excitement and then trying to get to sleep at midnight! It was hard enough for me! Actually we are quietly eyeing that tramp thing up and thinking that we may have to give it a go – 20 kunas for 10 minutes – how much fun can you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment