Friday 8 July 2011

Luxuries

One of the luxuries in my life at the moment (and there are a few) is the luxury to be spontaneous.

I feel a bit like a piece of flotsam that has been washed up and can choose to be whatever I want, and to do whatever I want to do. If someone says ‘stop and have a coffee with me’, I can, and do, and often end up having two or three in a morning as I bump into people I know. It’s the choosing game. I can choose to have a coffee because I am not rushing, not short for time, not obligated to anything.

This isn’t to say that I am doing much differently (if you take out the work aspect – oh ok, that’s a big aspect, but work with me here) – I now choose to get up and go to rowing, I choose to run on the other days, and choose to not exercise on Fridays. I choose to study some afternoons, and right now I have chosen to mop my apartment out and defrost the fridge (although I see the logic that should have me do the fridge first and not the floor).

So is it just a matter of approach when we are busy and stressed? I’m doing the same things but the attitude is different (and the weather is better).

Yesterday I chose to walk to the konzum at the top of the road – about 20 minutes walking – but foolishly chose to do so at 1 o’clock when the temperature was 32 degrees. I won’t choose to do that again – by the time I got back I had nearly expired. Fortunately I met a friend on the road and we sat in an airconditioned cafĂ© and talked about the different tourist hike tours he has coming up – I volunteered to be his assistant if he was short of staff.

My life in Auckland had become very structured, and very over-organized (my own fault) and it is an absolute luxury to be living as I am in this 6 month window. Some mornings I have a loose idea of what the day will bring – I run or row, then so often bump into someone and have a coffee, and next thing I know I am off on an adventure somewhere. I get home in the evening having had a day full of things that I wasn’t expecting. I guess the other factor is that I am open to any suggestions, and look at each thing as an opportunity for an adventure. My father’s wisdom. I have traded my lovely home for a sparten apartment and a suitcase of clothes - and have a hatful of adventures in return.

So, on that note, I’m off to the island of Hvar to stay in the town of Hvar this weekend with a friend – bus from here to Split in the morning, and then a ferry to Hvar, and back again for Sunday night. I will be missing in action for a few days, but you will be with me in spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment