Tuesday 5 July 2011

Of Mice and Crocs

It started raining in the early hours of the morning and then continued heavily until about 9. No Rowing *sigh*. You could feel it in the air yesterday – maybe that’s what brought the mouse in.

My apartment has been sectioned off from the rest of the house by a line a shoes blocking any potential egress under the door by a mouse on a mission. This mouse had better know its place and stay in my apartment, it’s definitely not welcome next door!

Immediately the rain slowed to a drizzle I set off on my own personal mission. Into the hardware store and asked for two miso lovke – two mouse traps (with a ‘sh’ on the ‘s’). They come with a guarantee! One has been set with cheese (beautiful pag, hope this mouse is a connoisseur) and the other with pesto. Bit of variety for a fussy mouse. I thought the pesto would work in the absence of peanut butter – there is some logic there because pesto has parmesan cheese in it. Will let you know what its preference is, although I wonder if it has already made a run for it, back out the terasa door.

I told you that I was growing basil - I have had two harvests and made two batches of pesto, keeping myself and my neighbour in stock. I made an extra jarful yesterday and gave it to the neighbours upstairs because they gave me the most beautiful bottle of merlot from their developing vineyard in Bosnia. It was divine and we told him so. He gets my pesto in return although she had no idea what it was or what to do with it.

The other animal (other than my rodent friend) that is huge here is crocs. Yes indeedy, everyone is wearing crocs in all shades of the rainbow. Especially if you have a partner, then you have matching crocs, or accessorize them with your bikini. (I know, I had a pair, I wore them to rowing, and more recently wore them only for the garden and mowing the lawns – forgive me).

I’ve spent the business end of today tweaking the Biokovo Active Holiday website http://www.biokovo.net/ - check it out before the charmingly sweet version disappears and is replaced by my version, especially the bit that says ‘About Us’ . The company paid someone a fair wage to translate their website into English – I’m happy to tweak it for nothing because… well, because I can. I’m fluent in English, it’s my only selling point!

So, yoga at my new gym again tonight – bit further to walk up the road (eyes averted, head down because I Am In Public In My Running Gear). Actually, out running yesterday I was amazed at the number of runners that were pounding the track with me – those out of towners, just can’t relax and be still!

1 comment:

  1. I sympathise about the mice. We used to have them in Seychelles, enormous ones that would climb down the palm trees onto the roof and then through the breezeway windows and run along the beams in the house. The traps were huge with big steel teeth. Any poor mouse unlucky enough to get the chop was blasted into his next life with such force that the cleanup after made you wonder if this was a wise decision. I am very envious of your warm weather. It has turned really cold here and have decided that Winter should be abolished next year. I will start a petition and see what we can do. Take care of yourself

    ReplyDelete