Monday 18 July 2011

Sealed Section - Women Only

Middle age was the premise for this adventure, and it is catching up with me. Without being too graphic, there are changes that take place as women age, and in this heat, they are amplified.

Last week I decided that enough was more than enough and went to the ljekarnik (chemist) for solace. Only the male staff member could give me solace because he held the solace tools of English. He understood what I needed and gave me a choice of herbal potions to reduce the symptoms promising instant relief (for a sum).

Yesterday I decided that enough was still more than enough and went to the doctor for solace. I showed her the potion and she rolled her eyes and said that nothing would help apart from Hormone Replacement Therapy, the Solace of the Last Resort for any sane New Zealand woman. She suggested that I should do some exercise - a 30 minute walk a day. I may consider that...

I, of course, had done some research and noted that the ingredients on the herbal potion did have some valid efficacy in studies, as did Progesterone Cream, a product I have used in New Zealand. So in response to the prescription, I enquired after Progesterone Cream. Phone calls were made – no, sorry, not available in Croatia. Which of course begs the question about why a product that has known side effects and should be the product of the last resort is the first resort, and alternatives are not available or encouraged. Does this say something about the attitude to women?

I took the prescription and wandered back to the ljekarnik, allowing people to push ahead of me (which they are very good at, queuing is a concept that is just being explored) until the male staff member was available for consultation. He was cute – asked how ‘things’ were – expressed surprise that my world hadn’t changed, and then told me that he would not recommend that I took the HRT. Which I knew, but liked the fact that he echoed my reaction.
I think that I understand now why some middle aged women disappear into the safety of their homes, emerging again in their 70s, choosing not to socialize. I also wonder if that is why so many older women here wear those big floral cotton house dresses everywhere. (I have also wondered where on earth they buy those things – they are awful, but women of that age all wear them – I’ve never seen them in the shops, only in one stall in the market in Split – are they a mail order? A compulsory item over a certain age?? God help me if that is the next step!)

The weather forecast keeps promising cooler weather, and in the meantime, I will take solace in the sea. Side effect is that it costs more in sunblock so that I don’t look like an old piece of leather. Ho hum, life could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment