Thursday 5 May 2011

Šetanja

On Tuesday I decided to go into the Biokovo Walking Tour office to gather information. I had been talking to an Australian couple who said that they had been up the Biokovo Mountain the day beforehand – in running shoes and shorts!!! The audacity! So, me being me, I thought that if they could do it…what I needed was a map. And maybe if there was a group going, a tour or something, I would tag along.

But no, despite the name, that’s not what they do really. A guide I could have for 120 euro. A free map I could have too. And a chat…
I asked about the upcoming Mountain Club outing to Omis. She rolled her eyes and said, óh, you need to talk to Drago, but he’s not very sociable’, indicating the guy at the next desk who had been sitting pretending to ignore us. Ah, THAT Drago, He Who Laughed at my Running Shoes and Shorts. We meet again (maniacal laugh). She laughed –‘ ah, that was you, it was on Facebook..’. Seriously!

So yesterday, map in my rucksack, boots (check), long trousers (check), chocolate (check) water (check) I headed up Put Makar, you know, you’ve been there before.


The church bell tolled 12 as I turned up the street. (ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for you..) Which is what I started thinking as I walked up the hill to the old town.

• I didn’t tell anyone where I was going
• I didn’t have my phone with me.
I decided to give myself 45 minutes only from the start of the track, and then would turn around. You see, good sense prevailing. In the direction of Vosac (which is a 3 hour walk.


I read the sign at the start of the track - and didnt do any of these things, promise. All I can really say is… wow. This mountain is so steep, the terrain so stunning and extreme. One path in particular was so… giddyingly high that it took my breath away. I didn’t go close to the edge.





45 minutes took me up past the scree and into the first of the treelines –

but what is incredible is



the altitude that you reach so quickly. I have a series of photos of the same view, each one taken 15 minutes apart – hopefully you can see what I mean.

And for those who are already worrying about me being up there all by myself (with no phone, but with chocolate) the story obviously ends safely. There is a chance of twisting an ankle (but my boots are very supportive) but no chance of getting lost unless you are an idiot – the signs painted on the rocks are quite clear.




45 minutes up took 30 minutes to descend. Today I have reported back to the Biokovo Walking Tour office, showing on the map where I got to – and she said ‘would you like a job as a tour-guide for English people?’ Ha, I’ll show that Drago yet – I’m sure he thinks I’m stupid.

3 comments:

  1. Go girl go - good old Kiwi DIY spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does Drago look like?
    :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes please, what does Drago look like? We need photographic evidence and preferably one where he is smiling

    ReplyDelete