Wednesday 4 May 2011

Local Rag

Well now, a brief interlude while we glance through the local paper - I’m sitting in the shade on my terrace with a glass of rose’…what are you doing? There are always a few things in the local paper of interest.

When I came back to my apartment yesterday , Ivana rushed in and said ‘you are in the newspaper’. And I am – there is a report (not quite in the same vein as my report) on our tramp to Vid.


There we all are in our glorious boots and alpine stick things. You probably can’t read the writing, but there is a full list of all the participants (Glucina, Puharic, Budanko, Marinovic, Sosic)¸ and then it just says ‘Alison’. (the tall one, third from the left..)


There is an article about the Sveti Jure Church in Tucepi -this is the little church at the bottom of the hill where my grandfather’s parents are buried – which reminds me that I was going to go and try and have the cross on the top of the headstone (nadgrub spomenik) fixed – it has fallen off and is lying on the ground –there is a jubilee celebration there …
Then on the 4th page there is an article about the Wine Festival – with a photo of young Filipe next door who was being a wine waiter of sorts. (He’s the second from the right).


Oh, and the article about the winner of the amateur Master Chef, a photo of Ivana and Filip’s father Ivan…. And an article about Ivana (and others) who are going to Prague to take part in a music concert there next week.

You see, I’m in good company!


And for those interested (because I’m sure that some of you have already tried to make the Torte Makarana, there is an advertisement for a bake-off (I told you didn’t I!!) for the best Torte Makarane - to be judged at the Hotel Meteor on the 29th of May, so you have time to get your torte across here! I think that I should go and volunteer to be the judge – I would be completely independent (that’s seriously something here) not open to bribes (also something), and have novice tastebuds – not tainted by years of eating these delicious creations.

There’s always something for everyone in the local paper, don’t you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment