Saturday 21 May 2011

Rowing Regatta

As I am writing this missive, the most amazing thunderstorm is booming and echoing around the Biokovo Mountains. I’m not sure whether it was anticipated today (because I didn’t look in the paper) but know that there are at least 300 people who are glad that it is happening now and not this morning.

I mentioned that the rowing coach had asked whether I would like to help at the rowing regatta this weekend – 10 clubs from as far north as Sibenik (with a ‘sh) and Zadar, and as far south as Dubrovnik were already unloading and rigging boats when I arrived at the Biokovo Veslacki Klub this morning at eight.



Boats and trailers everywhere, with that quiet, concentrated sound of metal on metal as riggers are screwed in place. The water was like a lake again today – it was odd, I had that same nervous anticipation in my stomach as I get when I arrive to row at regattas in New Zealand.
No masters rowing today though - first category is cadets (from 10 years old, actually 9 years old if you count Sime), then Juniors from 14 years old, and Seniors for 18 years and older.


Now, I am presuming here but I am not sure that in New Zealand at this sort of level of competition there is a trained team of judges/ commentators who adjudicate and officiate at each regatta. But here, there is such a team –they have attended a special training school to do just this. And very serious they are too.



What I haven’t mentioned is that my task today was to present the medals to the finalists. Sitting with me was a fine gentleman who was in the Croatian Rowing Team in 1965 as a 20 year old, and Ljucia who was about 16 I suppose, and her job was to stand with the medals on a silver platter as I handed them to the winners. (After the first of the medal ceremonies, she was taken aside by the National Rowing President and disappeared… I asked where she had gone and was told that she had been reprimanded because she had shorts on – she wasn’t on the beach today(!) and should have worn a dress. She reappeared with longer shorts on about five minutes later.)

The racing started on time and finished only ten minutes late – which is unusual no matter where you are as there are usually some holdups and delays, and all of the time that we sat there watching the races, giving out medals, Croatian music sang over the load speakers - and looking around, most people were singing awa, harmonising, while they were doing what they were doing. Antonio was the DJ - and he kept the songs coming, turning the music down as announcements were made.
I had to quickly learn how to say ‘cestitam’ (the ‘c’ is a ‘ch’) – congratulations- which I remembered to do most of the time!
When the racing was finished (only a second and a third for Biokovo Klub), everyone stopped for plates of pasta and Bolognese sauce, all delivered with no fuss in huge pots and platters. Croatians do catering for large groups very easily! Oh, and the most delicious strudel – lighter and richer than anything I have bought from the Pekara….




So, I’m glad that the thunder storm delayed its spectacular appearance until now – but hope that it gets over itself before the morning, because I am going with the planinari (mountaineers) to Imotski!

No comments:

Post a Comment