Monday 9 May 2011

Eat Eat Eat

Well goodness me, a few people have latched onto the Eat Love Pray thing and just won’t let it go… so just to confirm, I’m in the ‘Eat’ thing. In fact I would be surprised if I don’t look like a bloated facsimile of myself when I get off the plane in five months time (gracious, a month gone already!).

To be more exact, I’m working my way through the Pekara.

In New Zealand, I rarely ate bread, maybe once a month or so, but in my first month here, I resorted to a beautiful golden kroasan (croissant) every day for lunch (6 kuna) which I packed full of lettuce and salami and cheese…. Oh, and now I have been converted by Branka to prstici (with a ‘ch’ sound on the ‘c’). Let me share the deliciousness of these with you – a prst is a finger and these rolls are like fingers, but there are four of them joined together side by side – delicious moist bread with a salty syrup drizzled over the top so that when you bite into them the bread taste is added to by the saltiness of the top. I stuff these with lettuce and salami too. Initially I planned to only eat two of the four, but by the next day the remaining two are stale – so all four are consumed….*sigh*. Oh, and then there are the krafna – you have a choice of cokolada or marmalada – these are gooey doughnuts, oozing with jam or chocolate….
Potatoes were another thing that didn’t get a chance to land on my plate at home – they just didn’t appeal – but here, cooked with blitvah and lashings of olive oil and salt are a meal fit for a king. And maybe sliced boiled egg on the top, a twist of pepper…

I cooked chicken the other night – in a mix of mushrooms, bit of Drago’s wine (cousin Zlata’s husband Drago thanks Diana & Gaye- ), added blitvah. And here’s the thing – the chicken tasted like chicken! Completely different from the chicken at home from the supermarket. This must have been what chicken tasted like when we were children and it was an absolute treat to have a roast chicken on a Sunday!

And I ‘m working my way through the cheeses – Pag cheese (which is expensive in comparison with some others) is sharp and dry and I love it!
The supermarket has packets of 22 breskvice for 22 kuna – these are like a yoyo biscuit to look at (only in that they are joined together with icing) – but coloured to look like little peaches and then sprinkled with sugar – but the inside has been hollowed out and stuffed with the crushed biscuit that you scoop out, mixed with cooking chocolate, sour cream and honey…an absolute must with a cup of tea…


To top it all off, now that the weather is warming up, perhaps a Limun Gelato at 4 o’clock sitting on the riva with a book…

see, it’s the Eat thing, it’s the Eat thing..

3 comments:

  1. OK, OK, I get it, it's the Eat Thing, or methinks, one protests too much....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and what about all sorts of 'strudel','savijaca' 'kruh ispod peke', 'pasticada s njokima', 'bobici', 'bombice'...: this is just off the top of my head
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bog Diana, ja cu ici na Konsumu danas kupiti bobici! xx

    ReplyDelete