Friday 3 June 2011

Visitors

SAMUEL
This is not Allison writing the blog today, but it is Samuel, the son-in-law with a quick moment of first impressions.
Well, She’s pretty hot here! (I thought I’d start with a typical kiwi blokie statement). Of all of the countries I’ve been to on our trip so far Italy and Croatia, this is my favorite. I feel at home! Why? The beach, the sea. It is absolutno lijepa plaza (absolutely beautiful). Speaking of being at home near the sea I was spiked by a Kina today.
The local beer seems nice Karlovacko (with a thingy above the c). The people seem nice, maybe a little localized like a small NZ town where everyone watches your every move and nothing you do fits in (that’s me not fitting).
Diving is on the agenda for Monday, how exciting! the visibility must be 20, 30 maybe even 40 meters. We ate John Dory last night that’s right we share the same species in NZ and I don’t see this fish migrating all the way to the Adriatic sea….very dumb, slow fish and ugly.
I am leaving with a quote from a book that Allison bought. This is helping me understand the history and culture of Croatia. ‘they would never hurt a Fly’ war Criminals on trial in the Hague. It is a fantastic depiction of those who were in the war that are now being called to account.
Here we go “a Human being lives by his ability to forget” Agree, disagree, up to you?
DANICA
It is hot – the mountains coming into Dubrovnik on the Ferry were beautiful and the early morning arrival put out an airy feeling. With matching roof tops spread wide across the mountain faces, and the clearer than clear water, I actually felt like I was on holiday. I’ve filled my need for figs, almonds and gelato, had one for you Nan (oh alright, and wine) and we purchased two amazing photographs from a local photographer in the stari grad, Dubrovnik, one for my father.
We went for a run this morning, almost too hot but the track along the waterfront and into the bush was worth it.
First session in the sun this afternoon. After kava on the promenade and fresh fruit from the markets, what more could you want. We lay a foot away from the (absent) tide, I’d forgotten how clear the water is here. Even way over my head I could see the bottom, clear enough to know not to grab the dark spikey thing from the bottom. .
I have met some of the friends Mum has made, very lovely and all speaking English well. I’ve decided it should be mandatory for New Zealand schools to learn a second languages until University (not that I went there), at least the lovely ones (not German, American or Australian).
Mum’s language has got really good, I’m very proud of her. Pity so many of the locals speak English to her as soon as she opens her mouth. She needs to wear a T-shirt that says ‘Actually can speak a little.’
Eating out for a traditional meal tonight, meat, meat and a little more meat – hoping I’ll blend in with the other vegetarians here – none.
Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment