Tuesday 4 October 2011

That's All Folks!

I went for a final walk this morning, took my trusty camera along with me, wanting to record this beautiful time of the day, and the lovely walking track.

It is still quite shadowy at 7.30 now, and the water temperature has cooled sufficiently that I am not tempted to jump in without a towel to dry me and some sunshine to sit in. There are less people on the track – back to almost the same number as there were when I first arrived here six months ago – hard to believe that it is six months.

The café where we sit and drink coffee (guilty admission, sometimes we don’t walk far, just sit and laugh in the café) seems to have us as the only customers at this time of day.

I’ve started dishing out extra bits and pieces that I have gathered during my time here, and even went as far as doing the NZ thing and made some jars of pesto as gifts for people.

I was planning on taking the bus to Split tomorrow afternoon to start the trip home, but a friend has offered to drive me there, although it just prolongs the goodbyes – another round of drinks with my friend in Split and then onto the overnight ferry to Ancona.

And I’ve just found out that twenty members of the Planinara Klub will be on the same ferry heading for the Cinque Terra – ha, company for the journey, not just the standard fare of people returning from visiting Medigore!

So there it is – I did it. Six months. It has raced by, it has been wonderful in so many ways. It has made me evaluate the way that I (we) live in New Zealand, the culture that we have and the things that are important. It has shown me that I can live in a small space with very little around me, and shown me that I need the luxury of work in my life. And I see that it is a luxury when you don’t have it.

It has shown me that wherever you go in the world, people are wonderful. They open up their lives and their homes to you – and wherever you are, it is a smile and an open heart that are the keys to the whole shebang!

Thanks for coming with me – who knows what will happen to the long ramblings that have kept me company over my stay in Makarska – I’ve enjoyed knowing that you are there with me.

I’m sitting in a café with wi-fi (my internet in the apartment has finished) and the radio is blasting out a Croatian version of ‘Honky Tonk Woman – it is “Honky Tonk Zena” - - love it! Vidimo se, moguce druge godine!

No comments:

Post a Comment