Tuesday 20 September 2011

Zubar

I don’t think that I mentioned that I went to the dentist the other day – I was inspired by another traveler who was getting his teeth attended to here because it is cheaper than in New Zealand. Apart from which I am hopeless and haven’t actually been to the dentist for years.

He was very sweet, and after inspecting my teeth carefully (and making me watch what he was doing on a screen above my head) he said that they are ‘good, but you brush too hard and the legs of your teeth are naked’.
I just thought that I would share that with you.

Today I had to go back to have two small holes filled. I don’t go to the dentist often because I am pathetic - but this guy managed to drill and fill my tooth without my feeling a thing. And he was funny. He told me not to eat but that it was ok to go to yoga. (For those detail people, an injection and two fillings in neighbouring teeth, 500 kuna – approx $110. I told you – cheaper.)

By the time I got back to my apartment the temperature had dropped to about 14 degrees and it was nearly 7 o’clock so, taking the Dr of Stomatology at his word, I helterskeltered up to yoga – a good 10 minute walk. Yesterday at this time of night it was 28 degrees.

We talked about ‘justlikethat’ before – and justlikethat, summer has ended. I considered taking an umbrella in case it rained again, but it would have been a waste of time. I did have to wear a sweater. During class as we did the loud ‘exhale breathing’ the wind was competing, dragging the branches of the trees across the windows and whistling through any little gaps that could be found. It’s not quite bura, still that dangerous jugo wind (no heart attacks, no migraines – in case you wondered) but bura is on its way. And it’s so dark already.

What I do love about this town is that it feels so safe – the night lighting is poor and it is dark but I have no concerns at all about wandering through town by myself. I’m sitting here writing this waiting for my medaljoni s spinatom (with a ‘sh’) to cook (hey what else can you do on a double gas burner) and the wind is working itself up to a beautiful crescendo, taking the terrace chairs with it. I love it. The percussion instruments have finished their grom-bling, and now the orchestra will concentrate on the wind instruments! I will sleep with the shutters louvred open and listen to it all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment